Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Reprieve for the childrens' respite centres

Further to last week's post 'Budget cuts - Respite care for disabled children?', I understand that a councillors' budget seminar was held yesterday and Cllr Caiach and others forced a vote to remove the two respite centres for profoundly disabled children, Blaenau and Llys Caradog, from the list of proposed cuts.

I'm pleased to report that the vote was successful and they will not be cut.

They should never have been on there in the first place and hopefully they will not reappear next year, but good news all the same.


Anonymous said...

By the way, plaid cymru abstained in the vote.

caebrwyn said...

Anon 13:42
Do you have a reason why? Kevin Madge has said there was 'cross-party opposition'.

Anonymous said...

Maybe somebody should ask them. They always abstain on all matters of the budget up until the day of the budget. They did the same in this time.

Sian Caiach said...

For the record, although I enthusiastically supported the vote, it was Education Director Rob Sully who sensibly suggested we took the issue completely "off the table", rather than return to it year after year.
No-one spoke for the closures, general agreement was that the savings are small and the service invaluable. I wasn't looking round the room as to who exactly was voting but the Plaid Councillor next to me spoke very well in support of keeping the respite care and voted to keep the service. I really doubt its a policy issue with Plaid.

caebrwyn said...

Thank you Sian.

Anonymous said...

This annual game of putting forward closing respite centres and then reconsidering is not worthy of the Director, the Council and certainly not fair on the families who rely on this essential service. It may be a tactical or political game for some - but shame on you for the emotional rollacoaster your games cause.